2017 Black History Month Essay Contest
- Open to All students
- All participants will receive a small prize
- 3 Grand Prize winners will receive Bragging Rights and a Gift Card to a store of your choice
Submissions can be in the form of poetry, visual art (with a written rationale of at least one well-developed paragraph), or a 500-word essay.
Please pick 1 of the 3 topics below to discuss:
- The West African philosophy Nkonsonskonson means “We are linked in both life and death. Those who share common blood relations never break away from one another." As Black people hail from many different cultural, social, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, what are the ties that bind us as one people?
- You are a descendant of the most resilient people on earth. Write a letter to an ancestor giving them insight into how you plan on carrying their legacy? Elaborate with research and historical evidence.
- Write about one person (personal or public figure) who has empowered and positively influenced your identity as a Black person or the lives of Black people in this country.
Submissions must be emailed to or printed and handed in by February 3rd, 2017 at 12PM. Winners will be announced February 9th, 2017 through the school PA system and the Grand Prize Winner will receive the prize on February 10th at 6pm during the Black Excellence Gala.
If you have questions or concerns regarding content, you may email Ms. Aubrey at , Ms. Vinti at , or your English teacher.